Workout Warrior

Workout Warrior

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Meal Plans

Is the weekend over already?? I have a love/hate relationship with Sundays because they are relaxing, but it is also the end of the weekend which is a real bummer. This weekend was nice for Craig and I. We enjoyed the weekend actually home. We did have a wedding last night a half hour away, but other then that we were in Blair, which rarely ever happens...we seem to be always on the go.
Yesterday I really worked my butt of in the gym doing over an hour of cardio with a back/shoulder workout. I felt tired and run down after my workout, more then usual so I decided I was not going to fight my body today and take a second rest day off from the gym. Usually, I try to swim on Sundays and my local pool has been closed for the last week due to repairs...so even if I wanted to swim it was not going to happen and I did not want to drive forty minutes away to go to another YMCA.
Today I want to talk a little bit about meal plans. Forever and ever, I would search google for the perfect meal plan. Someone or some map to tell me what to eat, how much, and when and that would give me the perfect body. Unfortunately, I never did find that perfect meal plan, but I realized that a perfect meal plan is simple..one that allows you to eat and feel satisfied, keeps you energy levels up and gives you plenty of variety, and also one that is maintainable that you can stick to. Now, the media will confuse you on this and throw out so many different meal plans claiming that if sticking to it you will become ripped and lean...key phrase there "sticking to it." Here are some example meal plans that I came across:
Muscle and Fitness for Hers
Breakfast: 1 scoop Whey and 1/2 cantaloupe
Breakfast 2: 2 Large Eyes, 2 slices low fat deli ham, 1/4 cup fat free cheese, 1 cup cooked oats
Snack: 4oz reduced fat greek yogurt with 1/2 cup berries
Lunch: 4oz lean ground beef, 1 wheat hamburger bun, 2 cups salad mix, 1 tbsp olive oil
Snack: 3oz chicken breast, 1tbsp light mayo, 5 wheat crackers
Dinner: 6oz chicken breast, 1 cup chopped broccoli, 2 cups salad mix, 1 tbsp olive oil
Night Snack: 3/4 cup cottage cheese 2 tbsp salsa
This comes out to be 1,835 cals/135g carbs 185 protein and 65 grams fat
P90x Energy Booster
Breakfast: 1 cup oatmeal, 6oz skim milk, 1 tbsp protein powder, 1/2oz raisins
Snack: Protein bar or shake
Lunch: 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, 9oz shrimp, 2 ounces pasta
Snack: 8oz cottage cheese
Dinner: 6 oz extra lean beef patty, 1 oz low fat cheese, 2 cups salad mix, 2 tbsp dressing, 1/2 cup fresh berries
Bodybuilding.com Jamie Eason 12 week Diet
Breakfast: 5 egg whites with 1/2 cup oats uncooked, unlimited veggies
Snack: 2 turkey muffins (160 cals) and unlimited veggies
Lunch: 6 oz meat, unlimited veggies, 1 starch serving (whole wheat tortilla)
Snack:Turkey muffins, unlimited veggies
Dinner: 6 oz meat unlimited veggies 1 serving starch
Snack: 5 egg whites
**No carbs after 7 pm and limit any fruit to two servings a day
All of these meal plans are expected to be incorporated with high volume training (5-6 workouts a week with moderate cardio activity). I would say out of the three, the most attainable one for me would be the Muscle and Fitness for hers, I find it easier to stick to a meal plan when there are several small snacks throughout the day. My least favorite is the Jamie Eason meal plan. Really...how is one expected to gain muscle on a diet consisting of egg whites, very little carbs and mostly veggies with NO FAT! The meal plan just screams binge to me.
For myself, after years of yo yoing around with diets and meal plans I found what works for me. Small meals eaten throughout the day incorporating equal amounts of carbs/proteins/fats at each meal. Here are some examples of my "small meals"
  • 1 packet instant oats, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 tsp peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup greek yogurt 2%, 1/2 cup cereal, 1/2 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1 whole wheat wrap, 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, 4 oz chicken breast
  • 2 oz low fat cheese, 5 crackers
  • 1 apple with 1 tbsp peanut butter

What kind of meal plan do you follow?? What are some of your quick mini meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment